3 Easy Ways to Reduce Your EMF Exposure
Electromagnetic fields are areas of energy that surround electronic devices. EMFs are emitted from every device that plugs into an electrical outlet as well as from airplanes and power lines or transformers. Your laptop, iPod, cell phone or other small handheld electronic devices all emit EMFs when they’re in use. “Dirty electricity” refers to electro-magnetic fields contaminated by high frequency distortions.
Are EMFs dangerous?
This is the 10,000 dollar question. Unfortunately, there aren’t a ton of conclusive studies on this topic, which is a shame because we are literally bombarded with them daily. Most of us live in a home with our Wi-Fi on 24/7, a smart meter attached to the outside of our living room wall, and sleep with our iPhone by our heads. Our children play with our cell phones or use electronics to learn and play. This EMF-infused technology has become a way of life for many of us.
But, we need to be careful.
There is a growing body of scientific evidence showing that too much EMF exposure can be harmful to our health.
The World Health Organization (WHO) put out a press release in May, 2011 that states that radiation from cell phones can be a carcinogen to humans and, with excessive use, could be linked to brain tumors. According to WHO, electromagnetic fields affect us because our human bodies have their own electric and biochemical responses (e.g., nervous system, digestion, brain function, heart function). These devices and their dirty electricity have been linked to four of the biggest inflammation diseases: cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular and neurological disorders.
Where Do Electromagnetic Fields Come From?
Simply put, EMFs come from electricity:
- In your home – DECT cordless phones, hairdryers, vacuums, refrigerators, microwave ovens, irons, televisions (the flat panel TVs are much better than the old box-style TVs), main ring and lighting circuits, dimmer switches, electric blankets, electric razors, electric toothbrushes, WiFi, etc.
- In your office – computers, fluorescent or halogen lighting, fax machines, photocopiers, scanners, cell phones and WiFi.
- Outside – power lines (high voltage cables either overhead or buried in the ground), transformers (the gray cylinders raised up on poles that look like trash cans), electrical substations, cell phone towers, cities that provide citywide wireless Internet (WiFi) and electromagnetic radiation from near neighbors’ electronic equipment.
- Airplanes – to learn more, read: The Health Risks of Airplanes Going Wireless and How to Protect Yourself
Scientific studies have listed the following as possible effect from EMF’s: mood disorders, cancer clusters in places with high voltage power lines, allergies, stress, and fatigue. From a variety of sources, evidence points to the supported conclusion that this radiation is very harmful.
Recent findings also show that electromagnetic frequencies emitted from cell phones can cause or speed tumors in the head. While it has not been thoroughly studied, more signs show that that EMF’s may be linked with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS or Lou Gehrig’s Disease). The Cleveland clinic even announced that cell phone radiation is linked with lower sperm.
The health implications are many, but there are a variety of ways you can protect yourself and family from EMF waves.
Wireless routers – as well as Bluetooth and similar wireless systems – give off electromagnetic radiation in the low-gigahertz frequency. This level is considered potentially dangerous to people. And the danger is compounded by several factors:
- Just like the wireless signals themselves, the EMFs can pass through walls.
- Most routers are not turned off at night, so you are exposed 24/7.
- You are not only exposed to EMFs from your own router. Did you ever search for a wireless signal and see not only your wireless network, but also your neighbor’s and the one from the business down the street? All of them emit EMFs.
Increasingly, scientists and researchers are uncovering the health risks of EMFs. Depending on the level and the length of exposure, those risks can range from insomnia and headaches to tumors. For more information on the health risks of EMFs from Wi-Fi.
Most of our modern-day conveniences emit EMFs, some stronger than others. So does this mean you have to go off the grid? Not at all! But if you are serious about achieving and maintaining your best health, there are several steps you can take to minimize the effect EMFs have on you and your family. It is not as difficult as one might imagine.
1. Reduce Wireless Router exposure while sleeping give your body a break.
- Turn off your wireless router
- Turn off the wireless connection on your phone, computer and tablets
2. Distance yourself from devices. Don’t Wear Your Phone
A better place for your phone is in your backpack, purse, or briefcase; electromagnetic radiation diminishes rapidly beyond 3 feet, making it a safer option. A cell phone is relatively neutral to carry on your person if in ‘flight’ mode or ‘off line; however, if that is not an option, favor keeping the keypad positioned towards your body and the battery facing outward. Another tip is to exchange the side of your head you normally talk on with the phone.
3. Ground on Earth
Until the last couple hundred of years, humans primarily walked barefoot and were outdoors most of the day. Science shows that an actual energetic grounding occurs when one has contact on natural surfaces, even to a point where harmful EMF can travel over the body. It’s shown that through earth connection, one becomes more alkaline, less stressed, and has improved immune system, among other benefits.
If you work in an office space in the concrete jungle of the city, make an effort to have natural plants indoors, spend a portion of your free time at home outside or on the grass during breaks, and make an effort to walk barefoot when possible. Learn more: Earthing – Are You Connected?
You may not be able to escape from technological tools which, let’s face it, have transformed modern day living substantially, but you can alter the degree of electromagnetic radiation which targets your body. Utilizing the above tips, you can safeguard your health and future in a subtle, but surely important, way.
In Boise and the surrounding areas, Eric Brandt from BeEMFSafe.com can detect, analyze, and correct the EMF exposure in your home. Contact him with questions or concerns about EMF and ‘dirty electricity’.
- Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity. IEEE Eng. Med. Biol. Sept/Oct 173-175, 2002.
- Magnetic Field Exposure and Cancer: Questions and Answers. National Cancer Institute.
- What Are Electromagnetic Fields? World Health Organization.